top of page


To assist you in getting ready to work while you study, download the info sheet and checklist (PDF 304.2KB).


As an international student working in Australia, you are entitled to the same employment safeguards as any other Australian. Here are a few things you should be aware of.


Your pay: There is a minimum wage in Australia. It is the law that you be paid at least this amount!


Paying tax: Depending on how much you make in Australia, you may be required to pay tax. Before you begin working, obtain a Tax File Number (TFN). Give your TFN to your supervisor to ensure that you are not overpaying taxes. You just need to apply for a TFN once, and it will be yours for the rest of your life!


Payslips: You must get a payslip within one working day after receiving payment in Australia. Workers are usually paid weekly, biweekly (every two weeks), or monthly. The paystub is a crucial document.


Working hours: Keep in mind that as an international student, you can work up to 40 hours every two weeks during the academic year and an unlimited number of hours during your vacation. It is critical that you adhere to this restriction; you committed to it when you were granted your student visa.


Casual work: There are a lot of casual jobs in Australia. You don't have a set amount of hours each week when you work casually. As a result, you'll be able to better manage your own time.

bottom of page