top of page
Australian Flags

The following information will assist you in determining the type of student visa you will require in order to study in Australia.

Anchor 1

Student visa (Subclass 500)

This visa covers all of the following fields of study. Visit the Department of Home Affairs for additional information regarding student visas.

  • independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)

  • schools (primary and secondary)

  • secondary school exchange program

  • vocational education and training (VET)

  • higher education

  • postgraduate research

  • non-award courses

  • international students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Defence.

Other visa options

You can apply for a Visitor or Working Holiday Visa for shorter durations of study. There is also a visa option available for guardians of students.

Visitor Visa (Subclasses 600, 601, 651)


  • Maximum 3 months study.

  • Intention to visit Australia is genuine.

  • Meet health and character requirements.

  • Sufficient money to support yourself during stay in Australia.

Read more about Visitor Visas on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417 and 462)

  • Maximum 4 months study.

  • Aged 18 to 30 years and hold an eligible passport.

  • Principal purpose to holiday in Australia.

  • Enter or remain in Australia as a genuine visitor.

  • Meet health and character requirements.

  • Sufficient funds for airfares and personal support for stay in Australia.

Read more about Working Holiday Visas on the Department of Home Affairs website.


Student Guardian (Subclass 590)

  • Provides for certain persons to reside with a student in Australia, where the student requires a guardian, ie: the student is under 18 years of age.

  • Study up to 3 months or study ELICOS for 20 hours per week for duration of visa.

  • Meet Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement.

  • Sufficient funds for airfares and living costs.

  • Meet health and character requirements.

  • Acceptable health insurance.


Read more about Student Guardian visas on the Department of Home Affairs website.


Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485)


  • This visa permits qualified overseas students who have finished an Australian education to work in Australia.

  • Depending on your qualifications, you can work in Australia for 18 months to 4 years.

  • There are no restrictions on the sort of employment you may undertake or the amount of hours you may work with this visa.

  • This visa must be applied for in Australia, and you must have had an appropriate student visa in the previous six months.

  • You must fulfil the standards for Australian study, English proficiency, health insurance, and character.

  • You must satisfy the specific requirements of the visa stream for which you are seeking.


Read more about Temporary Graduate visas on the Department of Home Affairs website.


Visa choices and criteria might change at any time. The Department of Home Affairs website is the greatest source to acquire reliable information to remain up to date. The website has detailed information on the many sorts of visas available for various levels of study in Australia, as well as information for those contemplating bringing family members (whether guardians, partners/spouses, or children) with them. You will also have access to assistance and guidance on your visa needs. 

Another alternative is to speak with an education representative, who can assist you with your visa application, course registration, and any other queries you may have. 

bottom of page