top of page
Untitled design - 2024-02-20T085151.713.png


Australia offers a variety of public transportation options, including buses, trains, trams, and ferries. You can also opt for private means like taxis or rented vehicles. Major educational institutions may provide their own transportation services for convenience, especially for late-night campus departures or those living in remote areas.


Transportation Concessions by State and Territory:

  • ACT: Concessions with a Student Concession Card or a valid student ID. Visit Transport Canberra for more.

  • NSW: Limited concessions for students on government scholarships. Visit Transport NSW for details.

  • NT: Free travel for school students; concession fares for university and VET students with a valid student card. Visit the NT Department of Transport.

  • QLD: Concessions for full-time students on approved programs. Details on Translink.

  • SA: Concessions available upon presenting a valid student ID. Visit Adelaide Metro.

  • VIC: Concessions for students on approved exchange programs, refugees, or Australian Development Scholarship holders. Visit Study Melbourne.

  • TAS: Same travel concessions as domestic students. Visit the Tasmanian Government Discounts & Concessions site.

  • WA: Concessions for full-time international students. Visit Transperth.


Driving in Australia

With a valid license from your home country, you may drive in Australia. Staying longer than three months may require an Australian license, depending on the state or territory. For detailed requirements, visit


Preparing for Arrival

Ensure your passport is valid for at least 6 months and have all visa documents ready. Consider making copies of your passport. Check visa and enrollment documents, including your eCoE and student information pack. Organize your Overseas Student Health Coverage (OSHC) and consider additional travel insurance.


Ensure your flight arrival allows adequate time to settle in. Keep emergency contacts, including family, embassy, lodging, and institution details, handy. Exchange some currency to Australian dollars beforehand and plan your airport transfer.


Upon arrival, consider purchasing an Australian SIM card for cost-effective communication. Explore work opportunities if your visa permits. Be aware of Australia's strict biosecurity laws and declare all required items at the border, including food, plant material, animal products, firearms, and certain medications.

bottom of page