top of page
Untitled design (88).png


While Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is required, private health, travel, house and possessions, and auto insurance are also available in Australia.

You must obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) as an international student in Australia for the length of your studies in Australia. There are, however, various forms of insurance that you may find beneficial.

Overseas Student Health Cover

International students and their dependents (for example, wives and children under the age of 18) who are pursuing formal education in Australia must get OSHC. It covers doctor consultations, certain hospital care, ambulance transport, and a restricted range of drugs (medicines). OSHC insurers can provide a wide range of OSHC policies.


These can range from a basic product that simply covers the legally required minimum services to comprehensive products that cover, in addition to the legally required minimum services, additional services as defined by the policy. Visit for additional information on OSHC, including a list of providers.

For the length of their stay in Australia, the Department of Home Affairs requires international students to retain OSHC. Visit the Department of Home Affairs' website for further information.


Private health insurance

You may wish to explore getting private health insurance in addition to your OSHC to cover anything that your OSHC does not cover. You can also get private health insurance for yourself or your family.


Benefits, membership prices, and eligibility might vary significantly across funds and insurance plans, so be sure the coverage you choose is appropriate for your requirements when purchasing health insurance. More information is available at

Travel insurance

Although Australia's travel business is extremely dependable, there are times when flights are cancelled, luggage is misplaced, or other unplanned complications occur. Travel insurance can assist cover any mishaps or delayed flights if you are travelling with valuables or have a strict travel schedule to adhere to.


Travel insurance is available from a variety of sources, including trip insurance firms, airlines, and travel booking businesses.


Home and contents insurance

Home and contents insurance protects your home as well as your personal possessions like furniture, clothing, and appliances. You do not need to worry about building insurance if you rent a property because it is the responsibility of the owner. However, if you have precious objects that you couldn't readily replace if something happened to them, contents insurance can be worth considering.

Vehicle insurance

If you buy a car, motorcycle, or other vehicle, you'll need to think about what kind of insurance you'll need. Depending on the state or territory of Australia you live in, you may be required to acquire compulsory insurance. In New South Wales, for example, you are required to acquire Compulsory Third Party insurance, which protects you for bodily injuries caused to another person in the event of an accident. Check with the appropriate government agency in your state or territory to see what, if any, mandatory insurance you may require.


You may also get vehicle insurance to protect your automobile against things like accidental damage, intentional damage, theft, fire, flood, and storms. Car insurance is available from a broad choice of providers in Australia, so do your homework and think about your individual insurance needs before purchasing vehicle insurance.

bottom of page