top of page
Hotel Room


Getting a place to rent

You can rent or lease a property alone or with friends. This may be done with or without the help of a real estate agent. Rental and share home possibilities are frequently advertised on bulletin boards or shared house websites at your university.

If you rent a home, you will be required to pay a security deposit, commonly known as a "bond," which is typically four weeks' rent. You will also be required to pay rent in advance (also usually four weeks). The bond is retained by the applicable state government department, such as the Residential Tenancy Authority, and is used to cover any damages to the rental property that you, your housemates, or house guests may do. When your lease expires, you may be eligible for a reimbursement of some or all of your bond.


Visit the website of the relevant Fair Trading government body in your state or territory for further information on your rights and duties while renting in Australia.

Fair Trading New South Wales

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Access Canberra (Australian Capital Territory)

Queensland Government

Consumer Affairs Northern Territory

Tasmanian Government

South Australian Government

Government of Western Australia


Student housing that is purpose-built

Residences designed particularly for students are known as purpose-built student housing. Studio flats to shared rooms with up to 16 beds, all with shared social spaces and services, are available.

The houses are frequently in the heart of the city and close to public transportation, making it easy to go about. Electricity and internet bills are usually included in the listed price, so the cost of living should remain consistent month to month.

Temporary lodging is available

Many overseas students live in short-term housing while acclimating to their new city and meeting possible roommates. Here are a few places to stay for a few days:

Hotel rooms and hostels

Temporary accommodation, which your institution may be able to provide. For further information, contact your institution's support staff or visit its website.

Accommodations are supervised by the university

University-owned or regulated housing and amenities for the sole use of students. Accommodations administered by the university will be completely furnished, cover bills, and provide integrated university-managed assistance.

Contact your university to find out what kind of accommodations they provide and compare the price to arranging your own.

Colleges with on-campus housing

Student housing and amenities with a focus on outstanding pastoral programmes, academic assistance, sports, cultural, and leadership development activities.


Living with a family at their home is known as a homestay. For younger kids, this might be a terrific alternative because you'll have all the conveniences of home, get to spend time with the family, and typically have meals and housekeeping supplied. Families that provide homestays are extensively vetted to guarantee that they can provide a safe and acceptable living environment.


Legal protection

You have a legal obligation to make timely payments for your lodging, cleaning, and maintenance costs. You have a legal right to feel safe in your home and to live in well-maintained housing with running water and electricity.

If you're having trouble with your housing, talk to your real estate agent or landlord (if you're renting); your international student support staff (if you're living on campus); or your homestay service provider. Someone will always be willing to assist you.

Tenants' unions and consumer advocates are examples of organisations that can help. To learn more, contact your state or territory's Fair Trading government department.

bottom of page